Church of Our Savior Revives
November, 20, for the first time since 1931, the Church of Our Savior
in Irkutsk held a service.
Church of Our Savior is the oldest stone building in the city of Irkutsk, founded in 1704. It is the only building of Irkutsk fort (“ostrog») that survived till nowadays.
75 years – that is exactly how long the church was not functioning.
After the bolshevik revolution it was used as a place for shoes repair,
then as a store-house, and for the last 25 years it was an exhibition
hall of Irkutsk Regional Museum. The decision to return the Church of Our Savior to the Eparchy was made on November, 1 2006. And though the regional museum exhibits are still kept in the building now, but the reconstruction of the church is going on rapidly.
Profsoysnaya Street, 31
8 (3012) 216-177
Rossiyskaya Street, 6. Office 2
8 (3952) 342-043